Saturday, December 18, 2010

Ethics and The Good Life

Pacific Lutheran University - Philosophy 125

This J-Term I get the great opportunity to travel and study in Europe. The focus, Ethics and The Good Life. This marks the fourth class I have had where ethical actions and thought have been involved - only this time I will get to travel through England, Germany, and Greece! The purpose of this blog is to summarize all the different readings I will have to do for my trip. This will require me to do three things:
  • Define key terms
  • Highlight key points 
  • Develop some clarity on the argument
Throughout these readings I need to focus on the bigger picture and bring up questions for our class discussions. I hope to also do Journal entries throughout my trip, which can be read HERE.
The authors/books I will be reading are as follows:

  1. Week One (Collected first full day in Cambridge):
    1. Hume
    2. Sidgwick
    3. Mill
    4. Williams
  2. Week Two (Collected first full day in Berlin)
    1. Kant
    2. Nietzsche
    3. Roth - Chapter 2 
    4. Roth - Chapter 5
    5. Roth - Chapter 7
    6. Roth - Chapter 8
  3. Week Three (Collected first day in Athens)
    1. Cahill
    2. Aristotle
    3. Plato’s Symposium
    4. Trial and Death of Socrates
  4. Week Three into Final Week (Collected on first day in Nafplio)
    1. Remainder of Cahill Book
    2. Epicurus
    3. Epictetus
    4. Lear
With two and a half weeks ahead of me of break, I hope to complete as many of my readings and summaries as possible so that I can better enjoy my time experiencing European culture and life.

No comments:

Post a Comment